Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Dish That's an Old Friend


There's one dish I never tire of eating: spaghetti and meat with tomato sauce. Not a tomato meat sauce. In my meal, the meat is cooked separately, poured over a bed of pasta and sauce, and then mixed in with them. For me, this dish is like coming home to an old friend probably because I’ve been eating it since I was old enough to say spaghetti. It was the first meal I could cook myself, though I definitely scorched the meat and onions a little as I was learning. Growing up, it was a Monday night tradition in my house. Now, I often cook a week’s worth, and that’s what I did last night. I find it to be a great comfort food in the snowy season, when I had a lot of studying in grad school or when I’m exhausted from a long day of work.  Plus, it is so easy to make!
What you’ll need:
1/2 box angel hair or spaghetti
Tomato sauce
1 Pkg. of 85 percent or 93 percent lean ground turkey (85 percent is tastier; 93 percent is healthier)
1 large onion

Directions:
Dice onions.
Cook turkey in a frying pan for about 20 minutes. Watch and flip frequently to avoid burning the meat. (There’s no need to put oil or butter in the pan. The juices of the turkey will suffice. )
When meat is no longer pink, add in onions.
When onions are translucent, remove from fire.
Boil water for the pasta and add a drop of olive oil.
Cook pasta: 6 minutes for angel hair, 8 minutes for spaghetti.
Cook a bowl of tomato sauce for 1 ½ minutes or until hot in the microwave.
Drain pasta.
Pour meat and sauce over a bed of pasta.
Mix together.
Season with oregano, basil and bread crumbs.
Serve with a salad for a healthier meal. (Helps you eat less pasta!)

No comments:

Post a Comment